I’m scared y’all. In fact, I’m terrified. A week from now I’m moving to a country I’ve never visited to live in a city where I have almost no friends. I’m putting my life in two suitcases and leaving the only country I’ve ever known to go on a crazy adventure. And although I’m excited, I’m also really afraid.
I’m afraid that I won’t make friends and the family I’m working for won’t like me. I’m afraid I’ll say something horrible in French and embarrass myself out of the country. I’m afraid the stylish skinny people will turn up their nose at my frumpy frame and trying too hard outfits. I’m scared that I’ll be alone in the city of love. I’m scared because I’ve never been out of America, no matter how cool and cultured I try to be. I’m scared I’ll lose my friends back home and everything will be different when I return.
I’m terrified of change.
But what I’m more afraid of is never doing anything. I’m terrified of never doing anything and never going anywhere. I’m afraid of sitting on my laptop for the rest of my life watching other people accomplish what I dream of. I’m scared of staying in my comfort zone and missing out on adventures and relationships. I’m afraid of living a stagnant life.
So I’m leaving my safe comfort zone. I’m going to live so that I don’t ask what if. I’m going to follow my dream and go on an adventure that will change my life. I’m moving abroad – because I’m terrified.
Although I am a bit scared for my move to France, I am also extremely excited. I want to make the most of my time abroad (which will be at least one year, but could be extended for who knows how long). So I’ve compiled a list of things (some a bit crazy) to do in Paris!
- Have someone mistake me as a Parisian and ask me for directions
- Sneak into the secret parts of the catacombs without dying
- Go to a wine bar and act snooty
- Somehow get into crazy exclusive parties/events/clubs
- Get mistaken for a celebrity
- Meet some famous people who I don’t know are famous but we become best friends
- Act in a French movie that gets crazy popular
- Find a cafe to write in that becomes “my cafe”
- Dream in French
- Adopt a cat and name him or her “Bisou”
- Throw a party
- Travel around Europe
- Fall in love – with Paris, a guy, baguettes, who knows?
- Make amazing friends from all over the world
- Teach my au pair child Taylor Swift songs
- Buy and wear a beret
- Become an actual celebrity in France for something weird, like my new cat Bisou can talk.
- Sit in a fancy hotel lobby and pretend to wait for someone.
- Have my family visit me
- Climb the first half of the Eiffel but also take the elevator to the top
- Convince my au pair family to name their next child “Talullah”
- Have a cheese picnic. Just cheese.
- Go viral for something France-related. Like me falling in the Seine on or something else normal.
- Become an actual Parisian
- Stay in Paris forever?
Do you have any other suggestions? Au revoir!